MEDICARE | Prescription Drug Coverage for Rhode Island
Director's welcome
About Prescription Coverage
Why do I need coverage?
Extra Help
Important dates
Drugs not covered by RIPAE
How to enroll
More information

Information Guide
download this guide in  English | Español | Portugües


How do I qualify for Extra Help?

If your income is below $14,355 or below $19,245 if you are married and are living with your spouse, you may not have to pay monthly premiums, annual deductibles or co-insurance fees for prescription drugs.

What does not count as income?

If your income is below $14,355 or below $19,245 if you are married, Social Security will not count:

  • Food Stamp assistance
  • Home energy assistance
  • Medical case assistance
  • Housing assistance
  • Disaster assistance
  • Earned income tax credit payments
  • Victim's compensation
  • Scholarships and grants

Do resources count?

Resources are the value of the things you own. To get Extra Help with Medicare's Prescription Drug Coverage program, your total resources must be valued below $10,000 or below $20,000 if you are married and living with your spouse.

Resources include:
  • Real Estate (other than your primary residence)
  • Bank Accounts, including checkings, savings and certificates of deposits
  • Stocks and Bonds
  • Mutual Funds
  • Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs)
  • Cash at home or anywhere else
Resources do not include:
  • Your Primary Residence
  • Your Personal Possessions
  • Your Vehicles
  • Resources you could not easily convert to cash, such as jewelry or home furnishings
  • Property you need for self-support, such as rental property or land you use to grow produce for home consumption
  • Non-business property essential to your self-support
  • Burial spaces
  • Interest earned on money you plan to use for burial spaces
  • Certain other payments made to you such as:
    • Retroactive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income payments
    • Housing assistance
    • Federal Income Tax refunds and earned Income Tax Credit advances
    • Compensation you receive as a crime victim
    • Relocation assistance from a state or local government.
RIPAE logoRhode Island Department of Elderly Affairs logo